This course includes classroom and range time learning to shoot rifles. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; rifle parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest, prone, sitting, standing and kneeling positions; cleaning; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Rifle Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Rifle Shooting Student Examination, and receive a course completion certificate.
Pay for your course below, but also register for the course with the NRA here. This will enable your instructor to order the necessary information packets and certificates for each student.
Saturday, August 1, 2020
Classroom: Saturday – 8am – 2pm (with 1 hour lunch break at noon and other breaks)
Classroom Location: 1528 Bethlehem Pike, Flourtown, PA, 19031
Range: Saturday – 2pm
Range: We’ll pick slots for the range time (taking two students at a time) to get some time shooting and handling the firearm(s).
Range Location: US-202 BUS & W Butler Ave & County Line Rd, Chalfont, PA 18914 or TBD (based on attendance and COVID-19 restrictions in place)
In this course you will:
- review gun handling safety rules, discuss what to expect at the range and review range commands.
- review the fundamentals of shooting, determine your dominant eye, learn a proper grip.
- get hands-on with a riflel as you learn how to load, cock, de-cock and and unload all the different rifle action types
- review how to clean a rifle
- learn the important shooting positions and then it’s off to the range to put everything you’ve learned into practice in a relaxed and non-competitive environment
- shoot a qualification target and receive a performance requirements checklist
Physical Limitations and Disabilities – If you have physical limitations or disabilities please contact us before registering for the class so we can discuss your needs.
Tim Ernst is a NRA-certified instructor in rifle and pistol with 20+ years of firearms experience. Tim has taught youth in Rifle at the Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association, he’s an Endowment Member of NRA, and a FTRP member for over 15 years (trap, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, plinking). I have over 20 years of experience with hunting (bear, deer, waterfowl) and firearms. Initially trained in the U.S. Navy. He’s also quite active in his community as a volunteer firefighter/engineer, former Safety Officer and Director at a local fire company.