The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course is a blended training course, which means a portion of the course is conducted in an eLearning environment (online) that can be completed on your own time. Register and pay for this course and RavenWood Training will provide you online codes to take the online portion of the exam.
- Purchase the class here.
- Register and pay for the NRA Online portion (or if you’ve already taken the online modules, still register) at the NRA Site here.
The eLearning portion teaches gun safety rules; types of pistols; proper operation of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols; ammunition knowledge and selection; selecting and storing a pistol; the fundamentals of pistol shooting; clearing stoppages, zeroing; pistol shooting errors; and pistol inspection and maintenance.
Once you pass the final online exam for this segment, be sure to register for this instructor led training portion (conducted in a classroom and at a range) to complete the course.
COVID-19 UPDATE: We hope to be out from under classroom and range restrictions by this time, but please keep in mind that the date and time of course may change due to restrictions.
Saturday, MARCH 13, 2021
Classroom: Saturday – 8am – noon (with lunch break at noon and other breaks)
Classroom Location: 1528 Bethlehem Pike – Rear, Flourtown, PA, 19031
Range: Saturday – 1pm
Range: We’ll pick slots for the range time (taking two students at a time) to get some time shooting and handling the firearm(s).
660 Easton Road, Horsham, PA 19444
Pay for your course below, but also register for the course with the NRA here. This will enable your instructor to order the necessary information packets and certificates for each student.
The prerequisite for this course is completing with a 90% or better on the exam of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course online (e-learning). Register and pay for this course and RavenWood Training will provide you online codes to take the online portion of the exam. Please bring your Online Passing Certificate with you to class. In this course you will:
- review gun handling safety rules, discuss what to expect at the range and review range commands.
- review the fundamentals of shooting, determine your dominant eye, learn a proper two-handed grip.
- get hands-on with a pistol as you learn how to load, cock, de-cock and and unload all the different action types (single action and double action revolvers and semi-automatics)
- review how to clean a pistol.
- learn the two important shooting positions and then it’s off to the range to put everything you’ve learned into practice in a relaxed and non-competitive environment.
- shoot a qualification target and receive a performance requirements checklist.
Physical Limitations and Disabilities – If you have physical limitations or disabilities please contact us before registering for the class so we can discuss your needs.
Tim Ernst is a NRA-certified instructor in rifle and pistol with 20+ years of firearms experience. Tim has taught youth in Rifle at the Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association, he’s an Endowment Member of NRA, and a FTRP member for over 15 years (trap, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, plinking). I have over 30 years of experience with hunting (bear, deer, waterfowl) and firearms. Initially trained in the U.S. Navy. He’s also quite active in his community as a volunteer firefighter/engineer, former Safety Officer and Director at a local fire company.